Friday, June 14, 2019

Touching


A few days after my friend Amy made me smile when she wrote about my drive-by hug I received this envelope in the mail. Kathryn and I were neighbors in the 1980’s and our sons (now in their 40’s) used to have play dates. After divorcing in the 1990’s she returned to college, earned a degree, and realized her dream of living in Africa.   A chronic illness prompted a move to Bangkok, Thailand where Kathryn continues to enjoy the life of an expat and Air BnB host.  We’ve stayed in touch through email and social media so I wondered about the handwritten communication - perhaps my upcoming milestone birthday?  She wrote to thank me for the small but apparently meaningful ways I supported her efforts to become the person she is today.  Reading and re-reading her note, I thought about the connection between significant objects and small gestures.  Both the artifacts and the touches can have powerful long-term impact.  Sometimes it’s simply a case of seeing the best in people when they don’t see the good in themselves.  I thought about the people whose small touches have stayed with me for many, many years – Georgia, Meg, Joanie, Cheryl, and so many others.  Touches can be comments, explanations, nods, suggestions, or simple hugs. They give pause for thought, prompt smiles, and last forever like an eternal time-release capsule, a precious gift indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment