Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The answer my friend, is blowin’ in the wind…

In spite of my best efforts to slow down, there are times I can’t help but engage in controversial issues like Connecticut’s Education Cost Sharing (ECS) model. Our local paper has a three-part story on ECS where state legislators on both sides of the aisle hem, haw and rationalize.  I find them windy (not syn. with long-winded; ref. Blowin’ in the Wind). I agree with Wesley Horton (Horton v. Meskill) when he suggests the “hold harmless” provision is a major reason—even with an admittedly flawed formula--- money is not flowing to needier school systems and towns.  Legislators simply do not have the political courage to reduce funding to admittedly wealthier towns and cities. P.s. This is also why state legislative districts should not cross town lines. Someone elected to serve both my small city, Norwalk, and a neighboring wealthy suburb would be hard pressed to speak against "hold harmless" when it could result in the reallocation of state funding from one town to the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment