Thursday, March 29, 2012

Lessons learned

A former colleague found this old photo of me tucked in a book in the Norwalk High language resource center. Lessons I learned when I taught there continue to inform and influence my thoughts and beliefs. Not long ago, a mother was charged with theft of services when she sent her young son to school in Norwalk although she apparently lived elsewhere. 40 years ago, Debby showed up in my freshman homeroom - petite, blond, smart, and sassy. Somewhere along the way I learned she had moved from her father and stepmother's home in Norwalk to her mother's in Bridgeport.  Every day she spent hours traveling back and forth by bus and train to get to school.  With only a few months remaining in her senior year I chose to look the other way. After graduation, Debby continued her studies at a community college and got a good job.  One day I got a call from another former student who told me Debby had been shot by an angry ex-boyfriend. We attended her funeral.  After that I could never work up too much indignation about school residency issues even though I am by nature a rule follower.

No comments:

Post a Comment